Olallieberry Inn, Cambria California Bed and Breakfast Lodging Cambria Bed and Breakfast Inn Reservations facebook Yelp Trip Advisor
About Us  |  Guest Rooms  |  Specials  |  Reservations   |  Weddings  |  Things to Do  |  Directions
History   •   Photo Gallery   •   Wine Tours   •  Gift Shop   •  Cooking Classes   •  Gift Certificates
olallieberry inn cambria ca
Olallieberry Inn: 2476 Main Street - Cambria, California 93428 | 805.927.3222 | info@olallieberry.com

History of the Olallieberry Inn
This Magnificent House at 2476 Main Street was built by the Manderscheid brothers, Otto and Carl, who were born in Prussia and arrived in Cambria in 1872. Both of them were Pharmacists and operated the town's local Drug Store on Main Street. In 1874 they bought a lot from A. M. Hardie and the following year built the house out of Cambria pine. The Redwood siding came from trees in Big Sur with the milling being accomplished at the local Leffingwell Saw Mill.

In 1883, the house was purchased by Benjamin Franklin. He was a prominent Cambria Businessman who also owned a General Merchandise Store, the Franklin Theater, and the Granger Saloon in Cambria. He also owned a 500 Acre Ranch on Santa Rosa Creek and a business block in San Luis Obispo.

In 1901 the house was acquired by Amos and Ida Smithers. Ida was the grand-daughter of William and Eunice Leffingwell (The Saw Mill Owner) and Amos became the director of the Bank of Cambria in the 1920s. Amos Smithers also owned a ranch which eventually became the Leimert Tract. The home was later sold and purchased by Theodore Rathbun in 1946. Rathbun sold it the following year to Christine and Winifred Brown.

Gordon and Frieda Howard bought the house from the Browns in 1955 and converted it to a Boarding House and Tourist Home (Essentially a B & B) until the mid-1970s. They also ran a small restaurant across Main Street in the front yard of the "Music House" where Mrs. Howard was well known for her delicious baked pies.

In 1976, a local citizen, Dr. Shaw, and his wife bought the house from the Frieda Howard estate and carefully restored it. The Shaws turned it into a formal Bed-and-Breakfast Inn called "The Shaw House".

In 1991, Peter and Carol Ann Irsfeld bought the house and added a full commercial kitchen. Peter, a professional Chef, enjoyed exercising his culinary skills by providing unsurpassed breakfasts as part of their keen emphasis on outstanding hospitality.

In 2001, the Olallieberry Inn was purchased by Larry and Marilyn Draper and Marjorie Ott who also did an exceptional job managing the Inn which has been judged by the SLO County Tribune as The Top-rated Bed and Breakfast.

Now, since 1955, over 60 years later, from Boarding House and Tourist Home, the Inn is still serving the Cambria community but under a new generation of owners. California natives, Nelson and Maureen Hubbell, are currently renovating and restoring the property to its original vintage. "We're very proud to be part of such an "old world" historic home and charming community. We're committed to excellence and maintaining the Inn's outstanding reputation as the Best B & B in the county!"

home | about us | guest rooms | specials | reservations | weddings | things to do | directions
PHOTO GALLERY  |  GIFT SHOP  |  COOKING CLASSES  |  GIFT CERTIFICATES

divider
website design & photography: innlight marketing
Olallieberry Inn, Cambria California Bed and Breakfast Lodging Cambria Bed and Breakfast Inn Reservations